Eating after getting dentures can take some getting used to, but that doesn’t mean you have to give up your favorite foods forever. The team at Dr. Pier’s dental office has written this list of easy tips to help you ease back to a full diet in no time!
- Start with soft foods such as puddings, eggs, soups and mashed potatoes. As you get used to eating with dentures, start to incorporate foods back into your diet slowly. Cut tougher foods down into smaller portions first, instead of trying to bite straight into an apple.
- When you chew, try to spread food evenly across both sides of your mouth so your dentures will stay secure. Chew slowly and try not to bite down with your front teeth.
- Red meats, like steaks, can be tough on your dentures. Make sure you use tender cuts and try cooking red meats in a slow cooker or into a stew. Fish and chicken are easier options to start with.
- You may struggle to sense temperatures like before, so be careful with hot foods and liquids.
- If you are worried about your dentures staying in place when eating in public, denture adhesives can help give you an extra sense of security.
- You will find that some foods are going to always cause you trouble, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t find a better tasting alternative. Instead of sticky peanut butter, try some healthy hummus. You’ll also find that wholegrain bread is a better alternative than multi-grain or seeded varieties that will get trapped under your dentures.
The team at Dentistry Lahaina are your local denture experts! Make an appointment in our convenient Lahaina, Maui location today!